Flavour-fiend Younger Daughter decided she had to create a new tray bake: she settled on a Gingerbread Cheesecake.
We have been baking brownies & blondies for many years out of Fat Witch Brownies. We modified & combined 2 recipes: Gingerbread Bars & Frozen Cream Cheese Brownies for this spicy, chewy yet creamy bake.
- 113g butter, softened
- 40g dark brown sugar
- 220g molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 270g flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp mixed spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Cream cheese layer:
- 450g cream cheese
- 30g castor sugar
- 1 egg
- Grease or line a 9×9 inch baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Mix the butter & brown sugar in a bowl until creamy.
- Add the molasses and continue to mix.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Measure in the flour, ginger, mixed spices, baking soda and mix well.
- Add in buttermilk until the batter is well combined.
- In another bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat the egg in and set aside.
- Spread 3/4 of the gingerbread mixture into the baking tin.
- Spread the cream cheese layer on top of the gingerbread layer.
- Gently spread on the remaining gingerbread mixture on top of the cheese layer.
- Dip a rounded knife into the pan and lift straight up, creating a marbled effect in the batter. Repeat to create a pattern of your choice.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with crumbs only, no batter.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack completely. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting & serving.