My first (and I feared, last) attempt ended in the bin – very seldom have I faced culinary defeat so complete that no one could/would eat it. But when I spied Del’s delicious bake on CurlsnSkirls, my soda bread fire reignited.
- 450g wholemeal flour (used Bobs Red Mill Stoneground Wholewheat flour)
- 50g rolled oats (used Bobs Red Mill Rolled 5-Grain Cereal)
- 8g salt
- 1 level tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 450 ml buttermilk (I add 1 Tbsp lemon to whole milk)
- 1 Tbsp melted butter + 1/2 Tbsp honey (for brushing over baked loaf)
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C
- Line or grease a baking sheet.
- Combine all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Make a well in the middle and add honey, buttermilk.
- Stir until you have soft, sticky dough. Do not overmix.
- Form a mound onto the baking sheet. Cut a deep cross on top of the dough with a knife.
- Bake for 45-50min, until the crust is golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Brush with melted butter & honey while still hot.
- Leave to cool slightly before eating.
May I offer you this song as you enjoy your tea? Older Daughter & I contributed our voices to this virtual choir. Keep well & thank you again for this table to gather around!