I love tray bakes: simple, quick and so easy to share.
I love peanut butter: on anything, with anything, in anything.
Jar of peanut butter begging to be used. Jam emerging from back of the cupboard. Recipe earmarked from long ago. Inevitable alchemy.
Bringing this treat to Su’s Tea Party. Come join!
PB & J Bars (adapted from Fat Witch Brownies by Patricia Helding)
- 120g flour
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 90g instant oats
- 100g brown sugar
- 125g chunky peanut butter
- 140g butter, softened
- 300g jam (I used a jar of St Dalfour Raspberry Jam)
- Line a 9in x 9in baking tray. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder, oats and brown sugar.
- Add the peanut butter and mix well.
- Add the butter, a little at a time. Mix well.
- Spread 2/3 of the mixture evenly in the prepared tin, using your hands to press down the dough.
- Refrigerate the remaining dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust starts to brown. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the jam gently & evenly over the hot crust.
- Using your hands, crumble the refrigerated remaining dough on top of the jam. This last layer will not cover the jam.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. The jam will be bubbly and the top golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 2 hours. Cut just before serving.
P/S. Sorry Betsy! I know it is still Lent. But see, not Frosting!