My word learning this week in response to One Word Sunday: Speciality hosted by Debbie at TravelWithIntent, is the difference between speciality and specialty. I had to look several times before I could spot the difference in the spelling of the two – may I plead aging eyes coupled with an aversion to reading glasses as an excuse?
- Speciality, could mean a pursuit/area of study/skill which one has put much time & effort into and are an expert in the area, or a branch of medicine/surgery. There are 2 roots from which it derives: Latin – specialis & Old French – especialite.
- Specialty, is used in North America synonymously as speciality, to refer to a branch of medicine/surgery. Or in law circles, a contract under seal. It derives from the Old French: especial/especialte.
I find these word curiosities extremely entertaining and a reminder that our English as it exists today is really a montage of so many cultures.
In considering a pursuit which we have put in much time & effort, I think of these minty dark chocolate cupcakes which are a favourite of Loving Husband and requested often by friends & family.
Sharing the recipe with you, the chocolate lovers.
We adapted these recipes from Benjamin Wong’s Cupcakes with Attitude.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes (12-15 cupcakes)
- 200g sugar
- 130g all purpose flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 125 ml milk
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 ml boiling water
- Pre-heat the over to 180 degrees centigrade. Line muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add egg, milk, oil & vanilla extract. Beat well until glossy.
- Gently stir in the boiling water.
- Pour the liquid batter into the cupcake liners until about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes sit in the tray for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the tray & place on wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Minty Dark Chocolate Buttercream
- 200g butter
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 200g icing sugar
- 85g cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp water
- Cream the butter until light & creamy.
- Add peppermint extract & mix well.
- Sift in icing sugar & cocoa powder. Combine well.
- Gradually add water, a little a time, beating it in. Stop when you achieve the desired consistency.