I have tried many of Anita Bean‘s (The Runner’s Cookbook) recipes for healthier bakes as they are easy to make & delicious. This recipe came up on Instagram last week and I’ve made it twice already. It is a delightfully light spiced cake that can be whipped up in no time at all.
Another bonus is that it is made with almond flour and olive oil so it is higher in fibre and lower in saturated fat. It also contains less sugar than traditional recipes.
Too good a recipe not to share. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Honey Spice Cake
Adapted from Anita Bean’s recipe found on her Instagram @anitabean1
- 125g self-raising flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g brown sugar
- 50g runny honey
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- glace icing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade.
- Line a 20cm square baking tin.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth surface with spatula.
- Bake in oven 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the tin to cool for at least 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Drizzle with glace icing, if desired (mix a small quantity of icing sugar with a few drops of water until the desired consistency).