With Easter just around the corner, eggs come to mind: chocolate eggs, coloured eggs, decorated eggs, Eggs Ben, French toast, Toad-in-a-hole, omelettes, frittatas…
Younger Daughter must have had similar ruminations, because she said to me at Sunday breakfast, with a completely straight face: “Why don’t you talk about your Eggs-periences”.
And so I shall; as much as I can until Easter comes around.
Today’s eggs-periment: easy vegetarian mini-quiches. I used frozen pastry and frozen veggies because that is what I had on hand; we have a laissez-faire attitude in this household towards food making. Often, we will make what strikes our fancy, using whatever we find the fridge, freezer and pantry. Of course, by all means, use fresh vegetables of all sorts if you have them, but note that they will have to be cooked partially first.
- 1 sheet of Borg vegetarian ready-rolled puff pastry (about 14″ by 14″)
- frozen broccoli & cauliflower
- 3 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp grated cheese
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Cut the sheet of puff pastry into 4 equal squares. Using a muffin/cupcake tin, mould each square into a muffin compartment to form a cup.
- Chop up defrosted broccoli & cauliflower and fill half of the pastry cup.
- Beat up the eggs in a bowl. Grate in some pepper and mix in half the cheddar cheese. Stir well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pastry cups until almost full.
Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry and cheese are golden brown.
- Serve hot with a green salad.