My first encounter with Bircher Muesli was at a hotel breakfast buffet: it was strangely more-ish. Since then, I cannot resist having a bowl when I see it in the buffet line.
As much as I enjoyed it, I never thought of making it myself, until I saw it in Deliciously Ella: Every Day. I couldn’t believe it was really that simple. Till I tried it. It is.
- 1 apple
- 45g rolled oats
- 40g raisins (I used cranberries because I ran out of raisins)
- 15g sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 125ml plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp maple syrup, date syrup or honey (optional – I omitted)
- Grate the apple into a bowl (I chopped mine into small pieces).
- Add all the other ingredients & stir together.
- Place the mix in an airtight container and leave in the fridge for about 6 hours to allow the oats to soften & absorb the milk. You can continue to store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Restore to room temperature before serving.
- Top with fruit and nuts.
Note: if you want an extra creamy muesli, add 1 Tbsp of coconut yogurt or plain yogurt before serving.
This recipe is meant for 1 serving, but I ate it over 3 brekkies. Maybe it stretched further because I added more fruit & nut on top of it.