I love frosting on a cake as much (if not more) as the cake itself. In the quest to make great vegan goodies, frosting has been a challenge. As I flipped through one of my staple cookbooks, Benjamin Wong’s Cupcakes with Attitude, I found this recipe for tofu frosting.
I’ve always viewed recipes for sweets using tofu with more than a little suspicion; I imagined some lumpy and strong-soyed concoction. But I needed a vegan frosting for our Halloween baking, so was resolved to try this. I was pleasantly chuffed to find find the frosting creamy, and only with a slight hint of soy. We paired it with Pumpkin & Cranberry Cupcake (above in the Feature photo) & on another occasion, Sweet Potato & Cranberry Cupcake, both which were delicious combinations!
- 200g of Soft tofu
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- up to 3 Tbsp icing sugar
- Pat tofu dry with paper towels.
- Break up tofu and place in a blender.
- Add lemon juice & vanilla extract.
- Blend for about 30 seconds, until creamy.
- Add icing sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time, tasting as you mix. Adjust amount to taste.