One of my favourite bedside books is Deliciously Ella: Every Day. I flip through it often, drooling over the beautiful photos, and dreaming of which recipe I will make.
One of my favourite brekkies is steel-cut oats, cooked in water (not milk), then topped with all sorts of fruits & nuts. A close second for a breakfast bowl is rolled oat porridge, also topped with fruit & nut. I decided I would do something different and try quinoa as a base for my brekkie bowl.
- 60g quinoa
- 150ml plant-based milk (I used just water, as I like my brekkie bowls less creamy)
- 1 tbsp honey (I omitted)
- 1 banana
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Place the quinoa in a small pot or saucepan with 100ml of boiling water, the milk & honey (if using).
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the quinoa is fluffy and most of the liquid has been absorbed (but not completely dry).
- Slice the banana into the mix & stir in the ginger.
- Cook further for about 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl to serve hot.
- Tweak it: try adding lots of nuts, seeds, fruit & dried fruit to make this bowl extra delicious! (I added frozen blueberries, fresh raspberries & pistachios)
Verdict: It took a little paradigm shift to have quinoa in a sweet bowl, but it was surprisingly more-ish, especially with the banana & ginger. A keeper!