Continuing my quest for better than non-vegan vegan goodies, I rejigged the recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies from one of my mostly vegan sites, MyCaliforniaRoots to suit the 2 different tastes of Older & Younger Daughters. Although our last attempt was pronounced a success, Older Daughter loves her peanut butter cookies with cranberries. So, we decided to mix up a batch, make them half plain, half with cranberries.
Here’s what we did:
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp water
- 110g vegan butter
- 80g sugar
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 200g peanut butter
- 210g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- coarse brown sugar for rolling
- 60g cranberries for Cranberry Version of the cookie (for half the dough; if making all cranberry cookies, double to 120g)
- Combine the flax seed & water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter & sugars in a bowl until well-mixed & fluffy.
- Add the flax seed mixture & vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add peanut butter & mix until well combined.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder & salt, and mix only till just combined.
- Split the dough in half and place 1/2 into another bowl.
- For the cranberries into one bowl.
- Cover both bowls & refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Place the coarse sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll a tablespoon of dough between your palms to form a ball, roll in the sugar.Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, then use a fork to flatten.
- Place the flattened cookies about 3 cm apart.
- Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes until they are just starting to turn golden brown. Let them sit on the sheet for about 5 min, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Feature Photo: Plain peanut butter cookie (Left); Peanut Butter cookie with cranberries (Right)