About a month ago, Younger Daughter & I whipped up a batch of sweet potato & cranberry cupcakes which were surprisingly more-ish.
Knowing that the things we love to eat are also good for us is such a bonus! For example, did you know that sweet potatoes are a good source of Vitamin C, which is great for all sorts of healthful benefits, including maintaining the skin’s youthful plasticity (I need all the help I can get in this department)? They are also a good source of Vitamin D (contributes to bone health), iron (supports immune system), magnesium (promotes relaxation as an anti-stress mineral) and carotenoids (strengthens eyesight & boosts immunity).
And well, cranberries belong to the Superfoods due to their high nutrient & antioxidant content. Some of their benefits include lowering the risk of Urinary Tract Infections (something which I am unfortunately & unglamorously prone to), boosting the immune system and lowering blood pressure.
In my quest to bake vegan goodies which taste as good or maybe even better than their original version, we decided we wanted to try making these vegan. From the feedback, I don’t think anyone missed the eggs, butter or milk.
Here is what we did:
- 300g sweet potato (peeled, cubed & microwaved/steamed; then mashed)
- 100g cake flour (all purpose will also do; I used cake flour for a softer crumb), plus 1 Tbsp for sifting over cranberries
- 1 tsp baking powder
- I tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 125g vegan butter (if no problem with dairy, regular butter will suffice)
- 100g sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed, mixed with 5 Tbsp water (this is in place of 2 eggs). Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened soy milk (almond milk is also fine)
- 100g dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & ginger into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the vegan butter and gradually add sugar. Continue to beat until well-combined.
- Add flaxseed mixture and beat until mixture is light & fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, mix well. Stop immediately once all flour has been mixed in.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes & milk. Mix well.
- Sift 1 Tbsp of flour over the cranberries. Fold cranberries into the mixture.
- Spoon batter into the cupcake liners until 2/3 full.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cupcakes sit for about 5 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from tray and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt & scatter a few cranberries to garnish, or frost with Vegan Butter Rum Frosting
Vegan Buttercream Rum Frosting
- 200g vegan butter (or unsalted butter, if dairy is fine)
- 1 Tbsp rum
- 200g icing sugar (sifted)
- Beat the butter well.
- Add the rum and continue beating till well mixed.
- Add icing sugar and beat well till ingredients are well combined (do not overheat).