I love blueberries! so I am very fortunate that we can get these tiny powerhouses of healthy deliciousness all year round. On the off chance that I can’t get them from the supermarket, there is always the frozen option to use in our baking.
There are loads of healthy reasons to love this fruit: Medical News Today share that possible health benefits include contributing to bone health, lowering blood pressure, managing diabetes, warding off heart disease, preventing cancer, improving mental health, and my favourite, fighting wrinkles!
As a spinoff from the Dragonfruit Cupcakes we made about a month ago, we thought we would use the recipe & jig it for blueberries, lots of blueberries!
- 265g flour (recipe calls for All-Purpose; I used cake flour for a lighter cake)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 165g sugar
- 125 ml olive or vegetable oil
- 1 Tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g blueberries (puree 150g of the berries)
- Preheat oven to 185 degrees centigrade.
- Line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda & sugar in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine oil, lemon juice & vanilla. Add pureed blueberries. Mix well.
- Slowly add flour mixture. Gently whisk all ingredients until well-combined.
- Fold in the remaining blueberries.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test doneness with toothpick (should come out clean). Remove from oven and let them sit in tray for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes and place on wire rack to cool.
- Eat as is slightly warmed up, or top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, or spread some cream cheese on. Garnish with fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc) if you want a splash of colour and more berry-goodness.