I’ve never had sweet potato in cake before. So, when I found myself with 1.6kg of sweet potato to use up, I searched through my recipes for something we could make. I found a gem in one of my favourite cupcake resources: Cupcakes with Attitude.
Someone once told me if you use 1 recipe from a cookbook, it would have earned its keep. I have cookbooks which I thumb through ever so often but never actually make anything from. This book is different: we regularly make 3 cakes from Cupcakes with Attitude (a moist chocolate, a lemon & a coffee cake) and occasionally find new surprises like this one. Everyone who has eaten it simply loves it – we hope you will enjoy it too!
Sweet Potato Cranberry Cupcakes
- 300g Sweet Potato
- 100g Flour (recipe calls for all-purpose; I used cake flour for a lighter cake) + 1 Tbsp for sifting over cranberries
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 100g Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk (recipe called for soy milk, I used skim cow’s milk)
- 100g dried cranberries
- Steam sweet potato. Remove skin & mash.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & ginger into a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and gradually add sugar. Continue to beat until well-combined.
- Add eggs and beat until mixture is light & fluffy.
- Add flour mixture, mix well. Stop immediately once all flour has been mixed in.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes & milk. Mix well.
- Sift 1 Tbsp of flour over the cranberries. Fold cranberries into the mixture.
- Spoon batter into the cupcake liners until 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cupcakes sit for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from tray and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt & scatter a few cranberries to garnish.